U.S.S. SEA DEVIL Association Meeting Minutes, St. Marys, Georgia.
25 May 2013.
0830 –Upcoming scheduled events reviewed by Reunion Coordinator Hollis Holden prior to opening of the meeting. 44 members present.
0840 – Meeting called to order by Vice Commander Ed Lynd, presiding in lieu of Commander Mike Martin who is in recovery due to a debilitating health issue. Ed briefed the members present on the status of Commander Martin, and the group enthusiastically thank him for all of his dedicated efforts for the crew over the years.
Treasurer’s Report: $1,622.51 available at present.
Election of Officers:
Present Commander Mike Martin declined re-nomination. The names of Ed Lynd, John Herwig and Bill Hicks were placed on the floor for nomination, but were declined. James Seacord was nominated, the nomination was seconded, and unanimously carried.
Present Vice-Commander Ed Lynd volunteered to continue in that office, as well as Information Officer in charge of the website. The minutes will be posted as soon as the site issues are resolved.
Present Secretary was not present so Jim Schenk volunteered to take the minutes of the meeting. There was a nomination for Jim Schenk to be Secretary, seconded and unanimously carried.
The office of Treasurer, Storekeeper and Historian will remain with Past Commander Mike Martin.
Present Information Officer, Ed Lynd will continue in that capacity.
Skip Harrington was recognized for shopping for and securing a much more affordable website. Monies paid out by Ed and Skip for the website were reimbursed by the Association Treasurer.
The Association By-Laws are not yet posted to the Sea Devil site due to present site problems. These minutes will be posted soon.
A motion was made to appoint Jim Schenk as the Association Chaplain. The motion was seconded and approved unanimously.
George Boyle, our Sea Devil Shipmates’ Master List Keeper, gave a short presentation on USSVI activities and membership. It was noted that proximity to base meetings for new members could be circumvented by joining one of the on-line bases.
The next reunion venue was discussed: Savannah, Georgia; Las Vegas, Nevada; Branson, Missouri; San Antonio, Texas; Portsmouth, New Hampshire; St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands; and Tampa, Florida were mentioned. It was noted that it is not, as recently has been, necessary to place the reunion near a military installation, or solely where the Sea Devil was stationed. The membership density map was consulted showing 45+ members in the state of Florida, and a vote was taken. Tampa was selected for the 2015 Sea Devil Reunion by unanimous consent. The tentative dates to be in April so as to not conflict with any traditional holidays.
Admiral Fountain nominated Steve Oscher for the next Reunion Coordinator. It was seconded and unanimously carried.
Admiral Fountain expressed the crew’s gratitude toward Hollis Holden’s and the committee members’ exemplary management of this year’s reunion.
There was review and discussion of the Association By-Laws, culminating in motions made, seconded, and voted upon. During the preliminary discussion it was offered to conduct a computer poll to the non-attending membership and was decided that this issue must be confronted at this meeting, vice the aforementioned.
Article II: The Board will consist of five (5) voting officers: Commander, Vice-Commander, Secretary, Treasurer, and Information Officer. There will be two (2) non-voting Members-At-Large to assist the Board. There shall be one (1) appointed from the area East of the Mississippi River and one (1) from West of the Mississippi River.
Discussion of the language in this Article II, was voted unanimously to simply henceforth read, “There may be (vice will be) two (2) non-voting Members-At-Large to assist the Board.
Article IV-4: Terms of office shall be for two years. The newly elected officers shall begin their term after their election at the reunion, continue for two years, and terminate at the next reunion.
Discussion of the language in this Article IV-4b, was voted unanimously to simply henceforth read, “The newly elected officers shall preside from reunion to reunion,” under the premise that the reunions may occur closer than, or further apart than, two years.
It was noted by the Vice Commander that the efforts and input of the former ship’s captains has been invaluable throughout all of our meetings, and agreed to by the membership present. Former Captain’s Fountain and Chabot graciously offered their continuing availability.
1001 - There was a motion to adjourn, seconded and carried unanimously.
WRAP UP OF SEA DEVIL REUNION VI 2013
Sent By:HOLLIS HOLDEN On:May 05/27/13 12:22 PM
SEA DEVIL SHIPMATES AND MATTRESSES,
WOW! What a great time we had with some of the best weather for SEGA that we have had this year! The Good Lord answered my prayers in that regard for sure. I haven’t stayed up that late 3 days in a row having so much fun since I can’t remember. It is unfortunate that we had some who could not attend and one who had to leave early, all for medical reasons. I’m so sorry that we did not get to tour a Trident but the Sub Museum/Talk by Keith Post was the best we could do on short notice. With regard to the money you paid for the proposed tour, many of you came to me during the reunion and said just give my deposit to the Sub Museum or for beverage costs with the majority favoring the museum. Since I could not keep track of who said what, I intend to do the following:
1. For those who wish to have their money for the Sub Tour returned please SEND ME A SELF-ADDRESSED STAMPED ENVELOPE and I will return your money to you.
2. From the money that is left I will donate up to $300 of the money you paid for the Sub Tour to the Sub Museum in honor of SSN664/SS400 Crew Members who have passed. Any of that money I retain above the $300, I will return to the “kitty” held by the Treasurer as seed for the next reunion.
3. I will refund the money paid (less the Registration Fee) for the following who did not attend for medical reasons: Mickey Martin (knows how to climb a ladder but forgot how to come down slowly), Mary Jane Whelan, and Roger Hawke. PLEASE SEND ME A SELF-ADDRESSED STAMPED ENVELOPE for the return.
4. IF I DO NOT RECEIVE YOUR ENVELOPE BY JUNE 15th I WILL ASSUME YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR SUB TOUR DEPOSIT RETURNED AND YOU AGREE WITH MY STATED ACTIONS.
1. You guys/ladies did not drink much soda or regular beer. But you did a good job on peanuts, candy and lite beer. I had $65.42 worth of soda (about 8 cases) left after all departed and I just donated it to the local METHODIST HOME FOR CHILDREN AND YOUTH in St. Marys. You should have seen the expressions of the young boys as they helped me unload it. I explained who it was from and they send their thanks.
2. What you did not drink in Bourbon, Vodka, Rum and regular beer and 2 cans of peanuts, I repaid the fund and took home. Jeanette and I have enough B and V for a year and enough Rum for a lifetime. I will share the case of Bud and the peanuts I bought back with my golfing partners(RADM Tom Robertson, Capt Jack Mead and a civilian) on our 5 day golf outing next week to north Georgia as I tell them of the fun we had. Total value $338.54
3. For info, we consumed about $625.80 worth of beverages and snacks including $37 worth of ice.
I had a GREAT time and it was a very REWARDING and EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE to organize such an event. Hopefully, it made up for my failure to attend some of the previous Reunions. I will not miss any more in the future, God willing.