"BRAVO ZULU" to Hollis Holden & The Organizing Committee - Job Well Done !
SEA DEVIL SHIPMATES AND MATTRESSES,
WOW! What a great time we had with some of the best weather for SEGA that we have had this year! The Good Lord answered my prayers in that regard for sure. I haven’t stayed up that late 3 days in a row having so much fun since I can’t remember. It is unfortunate that we had some who could not attend and one who had to leave early, all for medical reasons. I’m so sorry that we did not get to tour a Trident but the Sub Museum/Talk by Keith Post was the best we could do on short notice. With regard to the money you paid for the proposed tour, many of you came to me during the reunion and said just give my deposit to the Sub Museum or for beverage costs with the majority favoring the museum. Since I could not keep track of who said what, I intend to do the following:
1. For those who wish to have their money for the Sub Tour returned please SEND ME A SELF-ADDRESSED STAMPED ENVELOPE and I will return your money to you.
2. From the money that is left I will donate up to $300 of the money you paid for the Sub Tour to the Sub Museum in honor of SSN664/SS400 Crew Members who have passed. Any of that money I retain above the $300, I will return to the “kitty” held by the Treasurer as seed for the next reunion.
3. I will refund the money paid (less the Registration Fee) for the following who did not attend for medical reasons: Mickey Martin (knows how to climb a ladder but forgot how to come down slowly), Mary Jane Whelan, and Roger Hawke. PLEASE SEND ME A SELF-ADDRESSED STAMPED ENVELOPE for the return.
4. IF I DO NOT RECEIVE YOUR ENVELOPE BY JUNE 15th I WILL ASSUME YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR SUB TOUR DEPOSIT RETURNED AND YOU AGREE WITH MY STATED ACTIONS.
1. You guys/ladies did not drink much soda or regular beer. But you did a good job on peanuts, candy and lite beer. I had $65.42 worth of soda (about 8 cases) left after all departed and I just donated it to the local METHODIST HOME FOR CHILDREN AND YOUTH in St. Marys. You should have seen the expressions of the young boys as they helped me unload it. I explained who it was from and they send their thanks.
2. What you did not drink in Bourbon, Vodka, Rum and regular beer and 2 cans of peanuts, I repaid the fund and took home. Jeanette and I have enough B and V for a year and enough Rum for a lifetime. I will share the case of Bud and the peanuts I bought back with my golfing partners(RADM Tom Robertson, Capt Jack Mead and a civilian) on our 5 day golf outing next week to north Georgia as I tell them of the fun we had. Total value $338.54
3. For info, we consumed about $625.80 worth of beverages and snacks including $37 worth of ice.
I had a GREAT time and it was a very REWARDING and EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE to organize such an event. Hopefully, it made up for my failure to attend some of the previous Reunions. I will not miss any more in the future, God willing.
915 Larkspur Lane
St. Marys, GA 31558
PS. TO TOP OFF THIS WEEKEND, I JUST GOT A CALL THIS MORNING, MEMORIAL DAY, FROM MY NEPHEW, A LTCOL IN THE ARMY AND A BATTALIAN COMMANDER, WHO RETURNED SATURDAY NIGHT FROM AFGHAN AFTER 9 MONTHS-HIS THIRD TOUR IN THAT HELL HOLE. HE IS COMING DOWN FROM FT STEWART NEAR SAVANNAH WITH HIS WIFE AND SON AND WE’RE GRILLING BURGERS TONIGHT!!!